CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!!!!

Hey peeps!!! i finally found time to write a post.. :]

ok!!!.....soo..didja feel the earthquake today, Tuesday the 29 of July!!?!?!?!?!?

I DID!!! I surprised myself because i stayed calm..but it still scared the s**t out of me... so.. therefore i have decided to tell you all about my experience at 11:40am or w.e it was...

I went with my friend and her little sister today to help their mom organize her classroom at a school in South LA. It seemed to be all good..we moved books, made a sign with paint (orange paint to be precise.. :]) and my friend and I cut out some letters for some signs with these really cool machines( I get entertained easily)... so as I was saying... during all this time my friend's mom was at different meetings , but she cam to check on us frequently.

So.... when all her meetings were over..she came back to the classroom and we hung out and did a bit more organizing. Then... all of a sudden... the room started to shake...

Since we were on the second floor, we thought it was somebody running or pushing along a heavy cart..but we were WRONG!!! My friend's mom rushed to the door because she didn't know what exactly was causing the shaking... my friend, her little sister, and I went to the door too, and then my friend's mom yelled..

"OH, THIS IS A REAL ONE, GET UNDER THE DESKS YOU GUYS!!!!"

My friend started to panic, she tried to go out the door and out of the building but her mom shoved her back inside and yelled, "No, go under a desk!!!" So then, we all ran under a desk, my friend was so scared that she didn't even go thought the opening on the side, she went trough two desks (this school is an elementary school so the desks are set up in pairs facing each other with chairs on opposite sides and small opening in between the legs of the tables [desks])... my friend threw herself between the small opening in between the desks, I just pushed the chairs out of the way and got under the desk next to where she was.... Her little sister and her mom got under the desks that were a few feet away from us...

My friend started to hyperventilate... meanwhile I was calm and I was trying to calm my friend down. She sounded like she was laughing and crying, but she was actually just really freaking out. Her little sister was also freaking out but not as much, and their mom was even more calm than me (of course, since she is a teacher and an adult)...

So as I am trying to calm my friend down, the big shake hit and we got really freaked out, then it was over, but there were aftershocks... the floor in front of me looked like it was moving from side to side. This all seemed to be in slow motion and it seemed surreal.

When my friend's mom said it was safe to get out from under the desks, we got out.. My friend's little sister and I went to get our things because we thought we were just gonna leave the classroom and not come back, but her mom said to just drop it and go out to the blacktop. While we were exiting the classroom, the first thing that came to my mind was my mom, and my phone rang. It was my mom making sure I was OK. Then I thought,

"Oh, so now all those earthquake drill came in handy!!"

We went out to the blacktop we all the little kids were lining up and their teachers were taking role. Then the principal said to stay calm and stay quiet because we were going to wait for a while just in case there were stronger after shocks... Then she announced that the earthquake had been of 5.8 at the epicenter, which actually turned out to be 5.4

M friend's mom went to talk to other teachers and the principal and we were sitting by a bench behind a backstop. We were all trying to take in what had just happened, and my friend, who was sitting next to me, showed me her hands, she was shaking like mad. I tried to calm her down but soon after the panic hit me and I started to shake too.

A couple of minutes later, after I had been trying to call back my mom, and I had been trying to contact all my friends to make sure they were fine (which was not possible at the moment, considering the fact that all my calls failed to go through) we went back to the classroom, we all got our stuff and left to go to my friend's house.

In her mom's car, I was finally able to call my mom and text my friends.... Two of them replied saying that the earthquake hadn't been that bad, that their furniture just shook a bit, but i thought differently.

So, after I got home I was thinking to myself,

"Boy, I am glad I didn't stay home alone today, I would have most definitely panicked!!!.. Huh... We'll this will be a day I will never forget.. July 29, the day of the strongest earthquake I had felt in my life so far.. this day was everything but boring.. the earthquake added a little excitement to my summer... ha ha!"


0 comments: